[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: shanky, Piyu, Resh  
Forum » Open System-Linux » Linux System questionare » Need a Robust Session Saver in GNOME (I need a tool that autosaves my session any time I want or w)
Need a Robust Session Saver in GNOME
BhaveekDate: Tuesday, 2014-06-03, 12:31 PM | Message # 1
Group: Guests

Hello guys,

I use Ubuntu Gnome 14.04. I experience frequent power outages in my area because of which I lose the session I am working on. Although my text editor loads the files I was working on after I log back in, it's a pain to reopen up all the windows I had open during my unsaved session. I looked up & found a way to tweak settings for gnome-session in dconf-editor, but that only applies if I log out. I need a tool that autosaves my session any time I want or which triggers itself every 10min or so.

Any help is much appreciated.

shankyDate: Wednesday, 2014-06-04, 8:56 AM | Message # 2
Lieutenant
Group: Administrators
Awards: 0
Hi Bhaveek,

Sure, I will try to help.
You can save your Gnome sessions using the script utility. All you need to do is you have to add below line in .bashrc file present in your home directory if you want saving your session automatically.

test "$(ps -p $PPID -o comm=)" == "script"||script -f ~/log_(date +'%d:%m:%y-%H:%M')_shell.log

It will start the script to save sessions automatically when you start your Gnome terminal next time or reload the .bashrc file using . .bashrc
You can adjust your session log file name as per your choice.

If you give -a option for script command it will append to a existing file or else -f option will create a new file everytime you start your session.

If this answer is not sufficiant or you need any further help, please reply back or chat with me.

s.k.bhagat

Forum » Open System-Linux » Linux System questionare » Need a Robust Session Saver in GNOME (I need a tool that autosaves my session any time I want or w)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: